WoW Classic Content Phases and Itemisation

Redh

Guild Leader
Class
Paladin
I thought it would be useful to copy here a summary of what we can expect at launch and onwards for WoW Classic. The full discussion thread can be found here (PvE) and here (PvP) if you would like more details.

Phase 1 (Classic Launch)

PvE

- Molten Core
- Onyxia
- Maraudon

PvP
- You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.

Phase 2

PvE

- Dire Maul
- Azuregos
- Kazzak

PvP
- Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
- PvP Rank Rewards

Phase 3

PvE

- Blackwing Lair
- Darkmoon Faire
- Darkmoon deck drops begin

PvP
- Alterac Valley (version 1.12 256)
- Warsong Gulch

Phase 4

PvE

- Zul’Gurub
- Green Dragons

PvP
- Arathi Basin

Phase 5

PvE

- Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins
- Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates
- Dungeon loot reconfiguration: Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes

PvP
- No changes

Phase 6

PvE

- Naxxramas
- Scourge Invasion

PvP
- World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There is also an interesting thread on their approach to itemisation in WoW Classic, and how they will deal with gear changes that took place during the original content patches. In short:

So rather than try to recreate a specific experience from 2005 that can never fully be recaptured, our aim has been to accurately and fully restore the original game’s mechanics and stats to their final and most polished state from before The Burning Crusade. That mission has been a pillar of WoW Classic’s design from its inception.

This means that while content will be unlocked progressively to allow for each raid tier to shine, systems such as class design, battleground mechanics, and stats on existing items will all be set to their final 1.12 conditions. That should take the pressure off players to be constantly figuring out what we might do next to remain exactly in line with how the game once played out, and we can all focus a little more on community building and enjoying the experience together.
Sounds good to me, and I trust they will be taking into consideration the additional dungeon and raid balancing that is required for the above changes.