PvP in phases 2&3, share your goals!

Rcarmine

Core Raid Member
Class
Druid
Hey all,

from the meeting we had on Monday it seems like even more people want to get invested in the pvp side of this game than expected, which is awesome, so I decided to share some plans I got, and am curious about everyobody elses goals, so this post is to share some of these things with everyone.
Personally, making progress on the honor ranking is my main goal in classic WoW, and I know there are others among you that are planning to stop doing most PvE related content (except raid days of course!) once the honor system hits with p2. While we know how things worked in Vanilla and on p-servers, the actual process of getting up there in classic is unknown.

p2: This phase will be the messy one. With BGs not being available yet there will be no truly efficient way to grind out honor points. However that obviously counts for everyone, and assuming the percentage based nature from Vanilla will stay, it is all about finding the most effective methods. While a weekly large scale event is fun and something I cant wait to do again (our last guild event that wasnt even large scale by any means was already brilliant), it is incredibly inefficient for honor, so I am looking forward the most to going out there with small teams that are out for horde blood, pretty much in the way that Redh already described.
The goal I currently set myself is to make r10 by the time p3 comes out. This is obviously only tentative since we dont know how long p2 will even last, and at least in Vanilla you could only climb so many ranks at a time per week. Essentially, the indirect part of this goal is to get as highly ranked and geared as possible before the main course hits.

p3: This is the big one. While I dont think I will be leading any of the large scale events hosted by the guild itself in p2 or p3, I will 100% be organizing teams of dedicated PvPers to pugstomp and have showdowns with other premades as regularly as possible. The groups I will host are not going to be guild exclusive every time (simply not possible if you want to run with optimized setups at the higher ranks) but I definitely would love to have as many guildies in my groups as possible, because a) its more fun to play with people you enjoy playing the game with even (or especially) when youre on a serious grind, and b) it removes more unknown variables.
The goal I have for p3 onward is to get my revenge on that elusive rank 14 that I just barely missed on retail. I am aware that this is more than just ambitious and depending on the system could even be impossible, but I dont like to sit on my past failure and will do everything in my power to make it as high up there as I can.

While BGs are still some months out, this is what I have been looking forward to the most in classic wow and Im already getting excited just thinking about it. Thats why I want to mainly use the time leading up to that in p2 to scout out who among the guild is interested in joining me on the hardcore BG grind, and start playing with them consistently in p2. I have already talked to a bunch of people about all this, but please let me know on here or message me directly in game to have a chat about anything related to what I have been writing about if youre interested.

But enough of my own goals, I am very curious to hear about the plans and ambitions, as specific or vague as they may be, that everyone else has for the PvP system, so please share your intentions with me and the others :)

And always remember, Red = DEAD

Raflz

Social Member
Class
Warrior
And always remember, Redh = DEAD
Dude that's so rude.

Phase 1: Try to get the Priest up to 60 as efficiently as I can.

Phase 2 and 3: Once at 60, I'll be very interested in joining up to heal open world and pvp encounters but I don't want to be part of the main core as I imagine doing so would be my sole focus.

That said, I'm not averse to climbing the ranks but it's a shitty system that rewards time rather than skill. I expect to get most of my gear from pve so that will take prio.

Last edited:

Aneurysm

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
From my perspective (having NEVER PvP'd in classic classic, however have held a decent arena rank in WOTLK/Cata) I'm a little unsure on what rank I would like to achieve. I'm in my final year of university and will get very busy rather soon so obviously the top top ranks are out of the question (I fully believe that to be the best at something you have to be practically insane, and there are people out there in the real world willing to die to be the best at certain activities and although it's not quite as serious in a game, there will be people with that win-at-all-costs mindset) however, I'd like to get the basic sets as a minimum (around rank 8-10 I believe?).

Although I am looking forward to the world PvP, I'm most looking forward to battlegrounds to be completely honest. I feel that where the numbers and parameters are equal that this is where a true test of just who is the most skilled lies - you cannot possibly blame a loss on being outnumbered or your environment and vice versa.

So briefly, my plans are:

Phase 1: Complete my PvP set (I'm 5-6 pieces off at the moment, so not too far) - and practice! (Also stock up on consumables).
Phase 2: Take part in world PvP and get a feel for how things are - then decide what rank I feel is achievable.
Phase 3: I would love to join a battleground team whilst still taking part in World PvP.

Last edited:

Daz

Retired Member
Class
Warlock
For anyone who has ever done organised BG's you'll know that as fun as AV is, you avoid it if you want fast honor.

The best honor is the Arathi Zerg in AB - You dominate early and hard! Have dedicated flag watchers (pref druids and hunters) - aim to get 3/5 flags ASAP by splitting resources between the Farm / LM.

Establish a strong core and then push heavy on the flag nearest Horde (too tired to think) and leave the middle flag until last.

With a fast approach, we can camp the horde at their spirit healer with mages heavily AoE'ing and engineers breaking them.

This is how you rank up fastest.

The other tactic is the WSG battle, but requires a lot more control to dominate correctly.

Whilst you can dominate in AV, the risk = reward is just unstable except to gain exalted.

In world PvP the best way to rank up is avoid major cities (too many civilians to die in crossfire) and Horde villages.

Remember, you get more honor the BETTER your opponents are. So you wan't to go somewhere with a high number of PvPers who will be ganking people around their level. The best way to do this is Essence of Water farming locations, Felcloth farming locations and if you're really brave Devilsaur farming locations in UGC. So if we wan't to push honor as soon as p2 drops, we need to have "baiters" farming in these locations who report when the Horde begin to cause too much grief, the "baiters" also allow the Horde to get some "free honor" which ups their ranking. We then gather up on these "ranked" players and take them down, lowering their new rank - we move onto the next farming spot.

In world PvP you will see, you need bait to create better targets (insert witty fishing metaphor here) and the best way to do that is abuse the farming routes.

My own plans are to reach rank 10-12, but I will happily help push anyone who intends to get rank 13 or even the elusive rank 14! I got to rank 11 in original classic, so I would love to be rank 12 this time, but lets see how much life gets in the way!

Naz

Loot Council
Class
Warrior
For anyone who has ever done organised BG's you'll know that as fun as AV is, you avoid it if you want fast honor.
It should be noted that on AV weekend, if AV ends quickly (whether you win or lose), the honor you get is the fastest you can get anywhere.
It was very common on private servers for Horde during AV weekend to just backdoor into the Alliance keep and win in <10min - and Alliance usually killed Galv for a bit of honor then let them win since the honor/hr was higher that way.
Just food for thought though - generally speaking farming whatever the weekly BG is is best, as long as you're in a premade!

Kataya

Core Raid Member
Class
Warrior
personally aiming for 12, as i think any higher is gonna be difficult when you dont have enough playtime( i ranked 14 on jaedenar wich was at the time a new server) played with a wsg-premade and as i have said somewhere on the forums before it took me about 8-10 weeks of constant 10-12 hour farming to maintain ranking and get to 14.

As Daz said fastest is either AB or WSG(did do a lot of av in the beginning till about rank 10 and to get exalted) same accounts for open world PVP, if your trying to rank beyond 10 or even 12, the open world is not the place onfortunately.

Might change my mind on going beyond 12 once the BG's are in dunno yet

Daz

Retired Member
Class
Warlock
It should be noted that on AV weekend, if AV ends quickly (whether you win or lose), the honor you get is the fastest you can get anywhere.
It was very common on private servers for Horde during AV weekend to just backdoor into the Alliance keep and win in <10min - and Alliance usually killed Galv for a bit of honor then let them win since the honor/hr was higher that way.
Just food for thought though - generally speaking farming whatever the weekly BG is is best, as long as you're in a premade!
You are very much correct! I forgot about the set weekends!

Success

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
The Success Story (I'm so sorry, I know how this is going to turn out before I even start it).

I think it's great that so many people have a rough plan of what their plans are for PVP & I'm really glad to hear that most of you are looking at doing that within the community of Cyrus.

I've got a massive document & detailed list of my all goals & personal achievements for Phase 3 on wards, but I won't bore you with it.
(I probably will...)

A "quick" overview of my goals at a snapshot are;

At the moment, I feel like I have spoken to members of the guild but they don't really know who I am. That's completely fault as I don't want to step on anybodies toes. During PVE, I have no place to say anything & I have no interest in investing my efforts into PVE content more than I need to, but when it comes to PVP my feelings completely change. I want people to know 'Success' & learn who I am. I really want to build a relationship with those who are dedicated to PVP & want to self improve/improve with me. Communication for me is very important and when PVP is my focus, I would love for you to all really get to know me & really invest in PVP together.​

1. I'm not too sure about Rank to be honest.
- I achieved Rank '12' in Vanilla World of Warcraft & I have achieved between 2.3k - 2.6k rated in every expansion since WotLK in arena and/or RBGs.
- I am certain that I will be a reaching a minimum of Rank 9 as I will be obtaining the "Battle standard". I have Rank 10 as an achievable goal for myself as I would like to complete the superior-quality armor set.
- I don't want to commit to anything higher than Rank 10 at this time as it's been many years since I ground something that hard. I don't want to hold people back if I make that commitment & don't hold myself to that expectation.
(I will give you an answer when I see how the grind fit into real life).

2. Phase 1: Looking for a core group of players to practice with.
- I have always been a PVE player out of boredom. This meaning, I raid because it's something in the game that can reward me at times but at heart I will always be a PVP player. Every goal I set myself & every achievement I'm proud of has come from PVP.
- Since reaching level 60 & entering raids, I've slowly descended into madness with the mind-numbingness of casting "Frost Bolt".
- The point I am attempting to make is, I would like to get myself away from PVE content a little & find a group of people who would like to begin practicing for the release of phase 2. I would like to start forming small groups of people & setting ourselves goals & achievements to be reached.

3. Creating arena groups with the same/opposite faction
- I have been an arena player for many years & WoW classic really lacks the competition that I thrive for. I always seek high ranked players to practice with & learn from. I also really miss the excitement that 2v2 & 3v3 arenas bring to me. World PVP is great, but it's a number game at the moment & mass zerging doesn't interest me at all.

4. Phase 2: WORLD PVP
- Like I previously mentioned, I am unsure where I stand with the honor grinding for honor levels. Due to the lack of battlegrounds, I believe I will use Phase 2 as a scope of how I would like to progress with the Ranking system. I do however look forward to the manic dynamic change that Phase 2 will introduce & I will definitely be involving myself in World PVP on a regular basis.

*MY TIME TO SHINE* 5. Phase 3: Warsong Gulch & Alterac Valley / Phase 4: Arathi Basin
- Phase 3 will be when the real 'Success' is introduced to the guild. During Monday's meeting, @Redh perfectly introduced his real persona by setting our exceptions of him once PVP is a focus of Cyrus. This reveal honestly set my emotions of fire as I loved to hear his attitude towards PVP & how it should be organised & adhered to. During my time within my retail guild <Scrubbusters> I would fairly say that I lead our PVP groups with the same attitude & dedication that he expressed to us.
- Organised battlegrounds are the bread & butter of my World of Warcraft experience & enjoyment. Rated Battlegrounds with perfect communication is everything to me. I couldn't tell you my /played in Arathi Basin over the years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed 365 days of gameplay (Since I have just over 4 years gameplay on my main Warrior... I'm not proud of this).

Personal statement: Mass Zerging PVP isn't for me
- Arranging a group of 40+ Cyrus members & camping a location / locking it down will very quickly become boring to me. I find no excitement in only succeeding in PVP due to having the superior numbers. I want to keep to a small manageable group with perfect communication and synchronicity.
- I do however want to see the Horde spreading the reputation of the <Cyrus> members, so on occasion I would love to stomp the horde in masses to spread to guild awareness.

I hope you take the time to read my life story & that you take something from it. Please, please, please... Message me about grouping together when I'm in game. I want to get some PVP groups together & see what we're made of.
From next on wards, I'm going to begin creating some forum posts about pulling together some groups with an specific goal to achieve. Once this goal is achieved and documented we can move on for the next challenge. Documented achievements for me would be great!

Thank you all for reading,
<Success>​

Rcarmine

Core Raid Member
Class
Druid
The Success Story (I'm so sorry, I know how this is going to turn out before I even start it).

I think it's great that so many people have a rough plan of what their plans are for PVP & I'm really glad to hear that most of you are looking at doing that within the community of Cyrus.

I've got a massive document & detailed list of my all goals & personal achievements for Phase 3 on wards, but I won't bore you with it.
(I probably will...)

A "quick" overview of my goals at a snapshot are;

At the moment, I feel like I have spoken to members of the guild but they don't really know who I am. That's completely fault as I don't want to step on anybodies toes. During PVE, I have no place to say anything & I have no interest in investing my efforts into PVE content more than I need to, but when it comes to PVP my feelings completely change. I want people to know 'Success' & learn who I am. I really want to build a relationship with those who are dedicated to PVP & want to self improve/improve with me. Communication for me is very important and when PVP is my focus, I would love for you to all really get to know me & really invest in PVP together.​

1. I'm not too sure about Rank to be honest.
- I achieved Rank '12' in Vanilla World of Warcraft & I have achieved between 2.3k - 2.6k rated in every expansion since WotLK in arena and/or RBGs.
- I am certain that I will be a reaching a minimum of Rank 9 as I will be obtaining the "Battle standard". I have Rank 10 as an achievable goal for myself as I would like to complete the superior-quality armor set.
- I don't want to commit to anything higher than Rank 10 at this time as it's been many years since I ground something that hard. I don't want to hold people back if I make that commitment & don't hold myself to that expectation.
(I will give you an answer when I see how the grind fit into real life).

2. Phase 1: Looking for a core group of players to practice with.
- I have always been a PVE player out of boredom. This meaning, I raid because it's something in the game that can reward me at times but at heart I will always be a PVP player. Every goal I set myself & every achievement I'm proud of has come from PVP.
- Since reaching level 60 & entering raids, I've slowly descended into madness with the mind-numbingness of casting "Frost Bolt".
- The point I am attempting to make is, I would like to get myself away from PVE content a little & find a group of people who would like to begin practicing for the release of phase 2. I would like to start forming small groups of people & setting ourselves goals & achievements to be reached.

3. Creating arena groups with the same/opposite faction
- I have been an arena player for many years & WoW classic really lacks the competition that I thrive for. I always seek high ranked players to practice with & learn from. I also really miss the excitement that 2v2 & 3v3 arenas bring to me. World PVP is great, but it's a number game at the moment & mass zerging doesn't interest me at all.

4. Phase 2: WORLD PVP
- Like I previously mentioned, I am unsure where I stand with the honor grinding for honor levels. Due to the lack of battlegrounds, I believe I will use Phase 2 as a scope of how I would like to progress with the Ranking system. I do however look forward to the manic dynamic change that Phase 2 will introduce & I will definitely be involving myself in World PVP on a regular basis.

*MY TIME TO SHINE* 5. Phase 3: Warsong Gulch & Alterac Valley / Phase 4: Arathi Basin
- Phase 3 will be when the real 'Success' is introduced to the guild. During Monday's meeting, @Redh perfectly introduced his real persona by setting our exceptions of him once PVP is a focus of Cyrus. This reveal honestly set my emotions of fire as I loved to hear his attitude towards PVP & how it should be organised & adhered to. During my time within my retail guild <Scrubbusters> I would fairly say that I lead our PVP groups with the same attitude & dedication that he expressed to us.
- Organised battlegrounds are the bread & butter of my World of Warcraft experience & enjoyment. Rated Battlegrounds with perfect communication is everything to me. I couldn't tell you my /played in Arathi Basin over the years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed 365 days of gameplay (Since I have just over 4 years gameplay on my main Warrior... I'm not proud of this).

Personal statement: Mass Zerging PVP isn't for me
- Arranging a group of 40+ Cyrus members & camping a location / locking it down will very quickly become boring to me. I find no excitement in only succeeding in PVP due to having the superior numbers. I want to keep to a small manageable group with perfect communication and synchronicity.
- I do however want to see the Horde spreading the reputation of the <Cyrus> members, so on occasion I would love to stomp the horde in masses to spread to guild awareness.

I hope you take the time to read my life story & that you take something from it. Please, please, please... Message me about grouping together when I'm in game. I want to get some PVP groups together & see what we're made of.
From next on wards, I'm going to begin creating some forum posts about pulling together some groups with an specific goal to achieve. Once this goal is achieved and documented we can move on for the next challenge. Documented achievements for me would be great!

Thank you all for reading,
<Success>​
Reading all this you sound like exactly the type of player that I want to spend a whole lot of time with. Looking forward to play with you more!

Snoof

Core Raid Member
Class
Warrior
I have alot of experience in classic pvp playing multiple classes to rank 10+. Never made 14 and not sure how pheasable that is with work commitments these days. But im looking to get as high as possible and grind as much as possible in premades. World pvp will be fun until phase 3 but its got to be bgs after that. So if you need a sick arms warrior i am in :)