Guide Cyrus and Warcraft Logs

Repike

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
Dear guild members,

Starting this day, Cyrus will now offically launch their WarcraftLogs guild. As a result, raid logs will be public for everyone to see and analyse. If you would like your WL-account to be linked to the guild, please send a Discord message to Repike.

Link to guild:
https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/guild/id/490008

What are Warcraft Logs anyway?
Warcraft Logs are essentially an advanced damage meter. This manually installed client takes all the data the game has collected during combat and categorises it in a Warcraft Log Report. A report can then be viewed and analysed on the website.

What are Warcraft Logs used for?
Their main purpose is to analyse gameplay and boss mechanics. You could use a log to check the uptime on your corruption or thunder clap, you could see everything that happened to your character before you were killed, and much more detailed information for those interested. I won't go into too much detail for now, but the possibilities are practically endless with logs.

What are Rankings and Percentiles?
Warcraftlogs.jpg

When you make a Warcraft Log Report public, the website will compare the guild's and players' performance to anybody else who has uploaded a log to the website. These comparisons lead to a ranking for your performance on a boss fight. A percentile simply shows your rank as a percentage and is colour coded. For some, these rankings can be a motivator to push their character as much as they can.

NOTE: Do not get too attached to these rankings. Rankings very much depend on boss kill speed (a.k.a. longer uptime of Power Infusions, Arcane Power, etc) and on [ab]use of mechanics (e.g. spawning whelps on purpose for someone to AoE down or stacking all Power Infusions and Innervates on one person). Doing boss mechanics and surviving a fight will always be top priority: Dps/Heal rankings should be secondary (or even tertiary) considerations.

How do I navigate these logs?
Warcraftlogs.jpg

WarcraftLogs subcategorises all combat data into several fields, to be found in the menu bar just above the graphs (circled red in the screenshot above). In the grey box you can select whether you want to analyze friendly or enemy data and optionally if you want to filter certain abilities.
Once you have selected a category, you will see a graph illustrating the selected data and more importantly, you will find all actors (players or bosses) data below the graph.

Another useful and interesting possibility WarcraftLogs offers is the option to watch a top-down replay of the fight (circled purple in the screenshot above). This tool is, for example, useful to track your movement during a fight.

Honestly, this explanation just touches on the very basics of Warcraft Logs. Queries are just an example of how detailed you want to analyse somebody's performance.

"I am interested in using Logs to improve my performance, but I'm not sure where to start."
If you have any interest in learning more about Warcraft Logs and how to use them to improve your performance, please feel free to message Repike on Discord or in-game at any time.

Note: No member should use Warcraft Logs to brag about personal performance or to slag off other people's performance. Logs should NOT be linked after a boss fight to show off damage or healing output. The guild will use these logs to help Cyrus and its members improve their performance for those that have an interest in pushing their characters as hard as possible.

Thanks for reading.
-Repike

Naz

Loot Council
Class
Warrior
Dear guild members,

Starting this day, Cyrus will now offically launch their WarcraftLogs guild. As a result, raid logs will be public for everyone to see and analyse. If you would like your WL-account to be linked to the guild, please send a Discord message to Repike.

Link to guild:
https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/guild/id/490008

What are Warcraft Logs anyway?
Warcraft Logs are essentially an advanced damage meter. This manually installed client takes all the data the game has collected during combat and categorises it in a Warcraft Log Report. A report can then be viewed and analysed on the website.

What are Warcraft Logs used for?
Their main purpose is to analyse gameplay and boss mechanics. You could use a log to check the uptime on your corruption or thunder clap, you could see everything that happened to your character before you were killed, and much more detailed information for those interested. I won't go into too much detail for now, but the possibilities are practically endless with logs.

What are Rankings and Percentiles?
View attachment 2324
When you make a Warcraft Log Report public, the website will compare the guild's and players' performance to anybody else who has uploaded a log to the website. These comparisons lead to a ranking for your performance on a boss fight. A percentile simply shows your rank as a percentage and is colour coded. For some, these rankings can be a motivator to push their character as much as they can.

NOTE: Do not get too attached to these rankings. Rankings very much depend on boss kill speed (a.k.a. longer uptime of Power Infusions, Arcane Power, etc) and on [ab]use of mechanics (e.g. spawning whelps on purpose for someone to AoE down or stacking all Power Infusions and Innervates on one person). Doing boss mechanics and surviving a fight will always be top priority: Dps/Heal rankings should be secondary (or even tertiary) considerations.

How do I navigate these logs?
View attachment 2326
WarcraftLogs subcategorises all combat data into several fields, to be found in the menu bar just above the graphs (circled red in the screenshot above). In the grey box you can select whether you want to analyze friendly or enemy data and optionally if you want to filter certain abilities.
Once you have selected a category, you will see a graph illustrating the selected data and more importantly, you will find all actors (players or bosses) data below the graph.

Another useful and interesting possibility WarcraftLogs offers is the option to watch a top-down replay of the fight (circled purple in the screenshot above). This tool is, for example, useful to track your movement during a fight.

Honestly, this explanation just touches on the very basics of Warcraft Logs. Queries are just an example of how detailed you want to analyse somebody's performance.

"I am interested in using Logs to improve my performance, but I'm not sure where to start."
If you have any interest in learning more about Warcraft Logs and how to use them to improve your performance, please feel free to message Repike on Discord or in-game at any time.

Note: No member should use Warcraft Logs to brag about personal performance or to slag off other people's performance. Logs should NOT be linked after a boss fight to show off damage or healing output. The guild will use these logs to help Cyrus and its members improve their performance for those that have an interest in pushing their characters as hard as possible.

Thanks for reading.
-Repike
As some of you are already aware, I'm a big fan of warcraftlogs and logging in general.
I've already gone through and helped some people audit their parses for recent raids, and while I don't know every class inside out I'm more than happy to sit down with anyone and try and help them find useful insight from their logs - especially when it comes to rotation/positioning/boss mechanics.
So along with @Repike, I'm also happy to receive messages on discord with any questions about specific raids, or questions about how to use warcraftlogs in general.
I think it's a fantastic tool that helps you cut through the nonsense and really see where you can improve, and I'm glad we're embracing it going forwards.

Also cheers Repike for logging all the raids up until now in the background, and for taking on the administration of the guild warcraftlogs page!

Dia

Guild Officer
Class
Mage
I see this doesn't track both of the raids for Ony?

Neobrijani

Core Raid Member
Class
Druid
If we have only 1 person that is tracking for logs it will show his raid only.
You need to set it up for tracking, which I totally forgot how to put and it's tracking everything like Details or Recount, and then you just upload it on Warcraft logs site.

I'm not sure who is logging in our guild but if you want to write us a guide or tutorial how to set it up properly I don't mind logging as well.

Repike

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
Somebody would have to combat log in the other group. If somebody here has an interest in combat logging themself, feel free to contact me to help you set it up.

Repike

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
No idea how to upload it to the guild logs tho or how you want to put it
This goes out to anybody trying to have their logs connected to the guild: Message me on Discord and I'll give you the invitation link.

Lilithoaken

Core Raid Member
Class
Warlock
I have just signed to it Repike, but it seems can only find my retail character not classic ones, why is that?

Repike

Core Raid Member
Class
Mage
Live Classic WL.jpg

Unfortunately you are unable to set Classic logs as default. You will have to select Classic in the upper left corner