The Devout is a magical hybrid healing / mage class concept for Camelot Unchained. It has the ability to both heal allies and damage enemies during battle. Here is all the information we have been able to gather so far, based on the Class Reveal Livestreams and public updates on the official website.
To watch this and other Camelot Unchained Class Reveal videos, check out our YouTube playlist here.
ABBOT – ARTHURIAN
- Playstyle: Best at close quarters healing and combat. Becomes more powerful the more group members are in range.
- Has the most melee potential of the three, but mostly relies on buffs which he can apply to himself or to others which allow him to get bonuses and deal magic damage with physical attacks.
- Can also use some ranged magic attacks
- Good in melee range against enemies who aren't melee specialists, or in support of melee based allies that he wants to stay close to.
- Consumes beer to increase movement, ability and recovery speed. It is possible for the Abbot to have weaker performance if he drinks too much!
- Abilities can buff group members magic damage or reduce ability and recovery times
- Uses a Quarterstaff which deals crushing and disruptive damage
- AoE heal splits the size of the heal between how many targets it effects.
HELBOUND - VIKING
- Playstyle: Makes an active choice before combat to specialise in healing or DPS.
- A dual mode class, can go into life mode or death mode to specialise in healing or DPS. This opposition mechanic does in fact make it difficult for the HelBound to balance offensive and defensive ability use. While it is possible to stick with life or death exclusively, and in some situations this may in fact be the right thing to do, there is not a 1:1 trade-off, meaning that it is possible to effectively manage both by transitioning at opportune times, but that this is actually a challenge for playing the class well, not something that happens naturally and easily.
- Switching between healing and damage abilities reduce their immediate effectiveness. Best to only switch when necessary to keep your power buffs up.
- Can reduce the effects of panic (CC) cast against his group
- Healing abilities can grant their target protection, which reduces their damage taken
- Damage abilities can debuff their target causing them to take more death damage
- Can cast Damage Over Time (DOT) or Heal Over Time (HOT) spells
- Can sap targets health through damage
- Their Death Curse (example: if the user has a Hel Mask equipped, removing the mask causes a large amount of panic to nearby enemies, and deals damage to them based on their resulting panic rating) is something of a long cooldown ability that they can activate before they die which triggers on the event of the character's death. Panic itself is a resource, and increasing panic applies a progressive penalty but does not actually have any effect resulting in loss of control itself, unlike Terror which is an effect which can be applied while a character has been pushed to their maximum panic rating. This specific ability itself might be a way for the HelBound to contribute to a terror bomb, but he would have to die to do it.
BLESSED CROW - TUATHA DE DANANN
- Playstyle: Mage type class which deploys cauldrons on the battlefield to boost power and area of effect of abilities.
- Can place multiple cauldrons and deploy them in an arrangement to produce various effects increasing range and power. Cauldrons decay over time.
- Cauldron has good AoE potential, can cast spell on cauldron to produce effect from that location
- Consumes corpses based on proximity and quantity to heal allies. More corpses, more heals.
- Item dependent - will need cauldron consumables to produce effects
THE DEVOUT GENERAL INFORMATION
- These are mage/healer hybrids not fighter/healer hybrids, so they don't tend to get a lot of healing synergy with weapon attacks.
- A complicated class - must focus on damage and also healing when required. Player needs to pay attention!
- Can pick up most weapons or duel wield, but they won't have the special abilities associated with them. The exception being limitations such as disallowing piercing and slashing weapons for the Abbot, or specialized class unique items such as the cauldron for the Blessed Crow.
- Can be survivable, but not tank spec
- Role of hybrid healer in RvR: can be in more offensive group, can contribute damage, and can main heal. In a balanced group will perform as secondary healer to assist main healer, or if main healer dies. They can fill the gaps to increase damage or increase heals.
- Cannot do as much pure healing as a main healer, or as much damage as a pure DPS over a duration of time. Has good burst heals / damage, but not as well sustained over time.
- Not a crowd control / buff / debuff heavy class
- As a Hybrid class, you should be trying to be effective at BOTH healing and DPS, not try to spec towards one over the other. Otherwise you'll just be a poor version of another class.
- Will have regular healing abilities - won't have to damage enemies to heal.
- Will have more ability choices than pure healers.
- Some banes and boons are optional, others are assigned along with choosing a race or class. The samples we see now are largely taken from the mandatory set because they define core attributes that show how these classes are meant to be played.