[Camelot Unchained] Class Breakdown - Support

The Support class is a buffing / debuffing class concept for Camelot Unchained. It can greatly boost movement speed both in and out of combat. It also uses auras to improve its own groups effectiveness or hinder enemies. Here is all the information we have been able to gather so far, based on the Class Reveal Livestreams and public updates on the official website.

To watch this and other Camelot Unchained Class Reveal videos, check out our YouTube playlist here.

MINSTREL – ARTHURIAN
  • Playstyle: Highly focused on switching / weaving between music and songs (auras)
  • Song effectiveness drops off over time and must be recharged
  • Song abilities that effect enemies increase in power the more enemies are in range (anti-zerg)
  • Can reduce enemy resistance to poisons and diseases
  • Speed buffs break on damage and cannot be reapplied instantly
  • Must optimise positioning to best effect group members
  • Own weapon ability damage is reduced while a song is active
  • Songs stack with other minstrels in the same group (but really, why take more than 1?!)
  • Relies heavily on instruments
  • Has regular combat abilities
  • Will have a harder time in solo play than other Support classes

SKALD - VIKING
  • Playstyle: Uses chants as auras to buff and debuff, and also melee weapons to contribute DPS
  • Does not use instruments - primarily uses voice (chants)
  • Chants effectiveness increases over time the longer it remains in combat
  • Chants effects remain beyond their duration - can have multiple effects overlapping at once. Best to switch effects rather than just keep one chant up.
  • Speed buffs break on damage or damage ability usage, but when this happens physical damage is increased briefly
  • More inclined towards melee weapons and fighting; has melee components that synergize with their other abilities. Not as effective as a DPS, but can contribute and add directly to the fight
  • Weak against head attacks - causes ability power to greatly reduce
  • Can boost damage taken by enemies from physical attacks
  • Best viable support class for solo play, although will never be as good as dps classes. Slightly better off than a healer in solo play since they have some effective damage options, but a lot of their role relies on having allies around to buff or multiple enemies around to debuff, so 1v1 really isn't their biggest strength

DARK FOOL - TUATHA DE DANANN
  • Playstyle: Uses sound and magic to create illusions (phantom players, different appearances, etc)
  • Not as purely themed as Arthurian. Has auras (using reed pipes) and also instant shouts.
  • Start up costs for songs and shouts make selecting when to stop one for the other a resource management choice
  • Uses illusions to trick the enemy
  • Speed buff ramps up over time and causes players to take increased damage, but speed doesn't break on taking damage
  • This class is a balancing act - it doesn't make you win, but makes you not lose. Great in a bad situation, but if you are already winning / not taking damage, not as useful.
  • Abilities scale with the number of enemies around - zerg buster!
  • Positioning is important: nearby enemy deaths will debuff the Dark Fool, however when a group member dies, their next song is buffed
  • Takes reduced healing and cure effects from other players
  • Has some minor heals - can sap health from the enemy group and siphon it to ally group members
  • Can reduce physical damage and increase panic in enemy group
  • Can increase group members damage against bleeding targets, also restores blood to target
  • Medium abilities for solo play, more group oriented

SUPPORT GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Speed boost orientated. Focused on resource manipulation, this is not a healing class.
  • Arthurian and Viking speed breaks on damage, TDD doesn't. TDD have a skirmish playstyle, good at running away!
  • Has effects that make allies better and enemies worse.
  • Not a one trick pony - lots of mechanics and support abilities
  • Wide range of utility - important for group play helping with peeling, distancing
  • buff / dispel / purge your group, debuff enemy group
  • Not squishy - tougher than mages, can wear heavier armour (not too heavy, wants to stay mobile). Good anti-melee defence
  • Not a crowd control class - not about taking away abilities from other players. There will not be much hard control in this game.
  • Should fill a group slot due to useful utility, even in siege. Not just for running between areas!
  • Auras / songs aren't channelled - can cast a song and then use other abilities
  • There will be an upfront start-up cost to using a song, and then a constant cost while it is running. This creates a choice of when to use and switch. It's all about timing.
  • Not the top end of solo classes, but not the bottom end. Stronger than healers, who have a focus on anti-damage
  • Has secondary weapons, but no instant weapon swaps
  • Multiple grouped support classes can stack songs
  • Support are probably not at top of the priority kill list as it is not a direct threat, but they are at their best when more people are around so it's worth disabling / disrupting them to prevent effects. Maybe worth stopping TDD support to prevent the group from running away, as speed doesn't break on damage. Very effective against larger groups as abilities scale well. Anti-zerg - can mess up a zergs day!
  • Mounts can still be in the game. Speed class will have the advantage. Mounts would mostly be useful in that they can carry more inventory items. No instant travel in game, limited fast travel, long distance between world items.
  • Not currently any distance penalty for songs - they are either on or off.
  • Auras are relatively short range and can't cover the entire battle field
  • All realms have the same maximum speed potential. Max speed is capped.
  • Colliding / falling damage is increased when under speed aura
  • Most speed auras are both in and out of combat while some are in combat only.
  • Speed auras will benefit caravans and NPCs, but it will be scaled.
  • Can use panic as a resource / deal with panic
  • Songs can be disrupted (this is the only way to actively get rid of it). Cannot be debuffed from group members, only from the support character producing it.
  • Instrument quality effects strength of auras
  • Group speed is normalised between a group, so a group can travel together. The stats and equipment both affect the base movement speed, and the idea is your speed is normalized for travel to help keep groups together while running from place to place, while the more significant differences in speed take effect when you draw your weapons and prepare for combat.
  • Songs are group based, not realm based. Wont effect players outside group
  • Over normal land speed songs should be significantly faster, but over roads having a speed song and travelling without one will likely be pretty close
  • You will be able to set traps that temporarily shuts down enemy speed songs as they pass by
  • Right now there is not an archetype with a focus purely on control. Support would probably be the closest as you can specialize more toward affects that target hostile players and reduce their combat effectiveness, but the majority of heavy control situations come from the synergy of multiple characters of different classes coordinating together rather than a single ability from a single character.
  • There will be armour that hinders song effectiveness, but right now there are no plans for a megaphone helmet.
  • The total power of buffs and debuffs on a character is limited. Aura effects are different, but they have limitations too, so support classes will likely want to spread out a bit to cover more area rather than all stacking in a small space when possible.

This class was previously known as the 'speed' class, however I hope players will realise it's not just a convenience class for reducing travel time. Movement and positioning in Camelot Unchained is far more critical than in other Open World PvP games we've played, maybe even more so than WoW Rated Battlegrounds (especially with the way abilities interact with each other due to the AIR system). So a good Support player will help control the flow and movement of the battle when it comes to charges and retreats for their group.

On top of this, Support classes have great abilities for both boosting their own groups overall effectiveness as well as taking away from their enemies. I see this class as having the ability to make up for being outnumbered to some degree.

We've all seen the difference a well played priest can make in Rated Battlegrounds with dispels. This will be on a whole other level. While all the classes in Camelot Unchained have a far higher skill cap than in other games, I think with Support it will be even more apparent. A bad or average player will bring very little to the group, whereas an intelligent and strategical player will make a huge difference.

I like the look of this one as well.... I like this one A LOT.... I'll probably try both this and the archer then focus on the one I prefer.

Again leaning towards the viking/arthur variants. The TDD again are coming off as gimmicky to me.

Last edited:
I like the look of this one as well.... I like this one A LOT.... I'll probably try both this and the archer then focus on the one I prefer.
I was thinking about you for this class too, it's more of an overall strategy class than a focus class. I think this would be a great option for leading the overall raid, with a different class for specific target calling.

Certainly worth you trying out as an alt. Remember there is no level grind in this game, you just "level" your specific abilities the more you use them :)

I was thinking about you for this class too, it's more of an overall strategy class than a focus class. I think this would be a great option for leading the overall raid, with a different class for specific target calling.

Certainly worth you trying out as an alt. Remember there is no level grind in this game, you just "level" your specific abilities the more you use them :)
I'd actually forgotten about that... makes even more sense to have one of these in my arsenal then.

I am currently still deciding between the support or the devout class. For me the main difference is that the devout is a more offensive support and support of a true support, the guy who's got your back and get raged when something goes wrong. Either way for the Devout the Skald is simply the only way to go the other two are either plain or, as some already, gimmicky.

Vikings! Here we come!

I like their realm story, but the classes either look very mediocre or their ability/focus is just not what i'm looking for.
Viking and Arthurian are far more appealing.

I like their realm story, but the classes either look very mediocre or their ability/focus is just not what i'm looking for.
Viking and Arthurian are far more appealing.
I dunno what it is about the class mechanics for me, they all seem flimsy and gimmicky. Maybe it's just a psychological thing now for me.
Sometimes during the class reveal livestreams when they've been explaining the main differences between each factions class, I've felt that they set it up as the Arthurians and Vikings are counters to each other, while the TDD are just the third wheel with all the crazy stuff capable of annoying the other two factions.

I don't necessarily think they are any weaker than the other two factions, but they just don't seem to be the main target of the other two.

Am I the only one that actually likes the TDD?
Do you mean the Realm in general or the Dark Fool in particular? TDD is my favourite Realm.

I don't see a problem with the Dark Fool. It is described in an odd way but a class that is very powerful when you are losing a fight sounds like one that is better able to change the outcome of that engagement. It sounds strange at first but it makes a lot of sense and the concept has a lot of potential.

I don't know if I'd want to play the Support but of these options, I'd rather be in a group with the Dark Fool to give me unparalleled mobility (which seems to a TDD trademark) and to help turn the tide of the fight, rather than be merely moderately useful whether we need it or not.

Sometimes during the class reveal livestreams when they've been explaining the main differences between each factions class, I've felt that they set it up as the Arthurians and Vikings are counters to each other, while the TDD are just the third wheel with all the crazy stuff capable of annoying the other two factions.

I don't necessarily think they are any weaker than the other two factions, but they just don't seem to be the main target of the other two.
We should assume that all three Realms will be balanced well, otherwise the game won't be worth playing.

I like the TDD as a realm and like most of their classes.

TDD are just the third wheel with all the crazy stuff capable of annoying the other two factions.
Why...this sounds JUST like Cyrus :p

Toggle Sidebar