[Camelot Unchained] Class Breakdown - Healers

The Healers are a pure healing class concept for Camelot Unchained. Their role is to keep their allies alive during combat - they do not offer any DPS support. Here is all the information we have been able to gather so far, based on the Class Reveal Livestreams and public updates on the official website.

To watch this and other Camelot Unchained Class Reveal videos, check out our YouTube playlist here.

PHYSICIAN – ARTHURIAN
  • Playstyle: Alchemist / scientist based character that equips and throws potions that effect their target.
  • Physical based abilities, the magic element is in the potion itself.
  • Possible to run out of potions, as they are a finite resource. Choice during combat to switch to a different potion or retreat and refill.
  • Not a focus on buffing and debuffing, mainly on healing and curing wounds.
  • More direct control over healing than Vikings.
  • Can use potions to pre-buff and protect allies against next incoming attack.
  • Can create potions in towns or in the field. Not practical during combat!
  • Potions are similar to arrows with regards to inventory management / accessibility. Crafters make the best potions.
  • Melee weapons are not effective, and slow the players movement.
  • Can heal self while casting potions on others

STONEHEALER - VIKING
  • Playstyle: Uses two resources - rocks (used to throw at people to heal) and stones (placed as target effects / AoE)
  • Throwing rocks at allies heals them! Yes, seriously!
  • Rocks are projectile based, follow line of sight and are short range. If a rock hits an ally, they will gain the rocks effect (heal, cure, etc)
  • Stones are deployment based - can place a stone on the ground and then remotely cast on that stone as an AoE / target.
  • Gains benefits when recovering own deployed stones. If a stone is destroyed, the Stonehealer takes damage.
  • Stones increase in power the longer they are deployed.
  • Stones can emit an aura that provides a heal over time effect to nearby allies.
  • Lots of movement, positioning is very important.
  • Good AoE heal abilities.
  • Rocks are similar to arrows with regards to inventory management / accessibility.
  • Low disruption resistance.

EMPATH - TUATHA DE DANANN
  • Playstyle: Does not heal allies directly, but rather transfers allies wounds / afflictions to own body, and then heals self.
  • Healing is at great personal cost - The more serious the transferred wound, the greater the risk.
  • Has the most powerful heals in the game due to the risk involved.
  • Must pay close attention to your own health state or you may kill yourself! Must recover yourself before taking on too much extra damage.
  • Can create a duplicate of your character (Simulacrum), and use that as a resource so your heals are not using your own health as a resource. This can only be used for one specific spell at a time.
  • Wound transfers are not 1:1 ratio - the healer will take reduced incoming damage from the wound transfer.

HEALER GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Confirmed as one of the three initial classes for Beta 1
  • Pure healers - they have no major damage abilities. There are no NPCs to kill, so no levelling up grinding. Pure group class.
  • Can equip weapons, and will have some basic abilities, but not focused on that.
  • Healers can heal individual body parts. General body heal abilities will be less effective than specific body part heals
  • AoE heals will be less efficient than specific targeted heals
  • Healers should be spread across groups and focus on their own group members
  • Healers will need peels and support to protect them! They will not be self healing indestructable tanks. Boo!
  • Healer Vision mechanic - may be in game. This is a toggle that healers can use to switch to a different graphic / viewing mode which shows wound and damage on players. Think Predator or night vision for example.
  • Positioning is very important for projectile based healing for both the healer and the targets. Heals require line of sight, and it will be up to both healer and target to stay in range.
  • Developers looking at resurrection skills, not confirmed yet.
  • Projectile throwing rocks / potions don't require the player to stand still. Healers can throw while moving. Any casted abilities will require the player to stand still.
  • Projectile heals (potions, rocks) can miss or be blocked.
  • Healers will have a lots of abilities. Possibility for ability bloat due to body part heals etc
  • Healers are very powerful when left alone, but lots of things can mess with them to make them less effective. Will probably hate Stealth classes!
  • Abilities for both direct heals and heals over time. Can customise your abilities towards your preference.
  • Potions and stones are crafted items, and a resource similar to Archers arrows.

The class I've been waiting for, and I have to admit I was a little taken aback during the live stream. I was expecting at least the Arthurian healer to be somewhat more traditional. All three healing classes are completely different to what I was expecting, which made me nervous.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them - the Viking and Arthurian are similar with regards to their projectile-based healing, and they are more physical based classes using magic elements than magical based characters. This is a big problem for healers, as now our heal has a big chance of not reaching its target - it can miss, it can get blocked, etc. Add this to the inevitable delay with latency, and suddenly we have an issue in knowing if our heal reached our target, whether we need to recast, or if we can move on to the next player.

Of these two factions, my instinct is that the Viking is more interesting due to the added Stone mechanic, which I think could be useful for healing people who are maybe more spread out. Strange, as the Vikings are usually benefiting from being in closer range to each other.

However the TDD has the most powerful heals in the game, which is obviously what we are all about. But the trade off is massive. It's hard enough getting trained and focus fired as a healer, but it's usually worse when you have Cyrus above your name, and when that name also happens to be "Redh". Enemies tend to see it and want to kill it - no idea why, it's usually people who have met me IRL that feel that way!

After the Q&A session there was the most mixed feedback about these classes than any other. Many people felt they would be too complicated to play or require too many abilities due to the body part damage mechanism. Others felt the were too limited in their play style as they only focus on healing and curing. My own opinion was that their play style seemed too similar to that of a DPS class having to chase around after other players throwing objects at them. They just happen to be allies instead of enemies. I suppose this could be said for traditional healers too, but the difference is they are usually magic based (like Mages), whereas these are physical based like a melee DPS. With so much already to focus on as a healer, this may become an extra frustration that we don't need.

Of course, this is one of the main 3 classes that will definitely be in Beta 1, so there will be plenty of time to test them and offer feedback. My biggest disappointment was that I was expecting to have a clear idea of which faction I would prefer after this reveal, and at the moment I'm no closer to having a strong preference based on an individual class.

EDIT TO ADD:

There was a lot of feedback on the official forums regarding this, and the class reveal certainly seems to have taken many people by surprise. Mark Jacobs is aware of all concerns, especially regarding the projectile system. This isn't being introduced to make life harder for healers, and it will be up to the developers to make sure this system works well for the task at hand. However it is very early in the classes development, and if these challenges can't be overcome then they will have no problems switching them to something else.

So don't be scared off by any of this - it's a concept. If this doesn't work out, we'll learn the lessons and get another concept :)

Last edited:
EDIT TO ADD:

There was a lot of feedback on the official forums regarding this, and the class reveal certainly seems to have taken many people by surprise. Mark Jacobs is aware of all concerns, especially regarding the projectile system. This isn't being introduced to make life harder for healers, and it will be up to the developers to make sure this system works well for the task at hand. However it is very early in the classes development, and if these challenges can't be overcome then they will have no problems switching them to something else.

So don't be scared off by any of this - it's a concept. If this doesn't work out, we'll learn the lessons and get another concept :)
This is valid for all the classes. It's strange being in on the info so early in a game's development. Most people are not used to it and we tend to forget that these are just concepts and most likely will change by the time the game is out.

What I am worried about most with the healers is the Player LoS mechanic and I just can't see how it will work...Mark thinks it will be an anti-zerg mechanic but, as Redh said to me earlier, it will also be a problem for small groups.

We shall see...

I actually think they all sound pretty cool, I've always liked the plague doctor archetype which I think seems similar to the Arthurian Healer.

Pretty cool concepts. I like the idea of the potions being thrown at the targets, hopefully the can affect an area as opposed to having to physically hit the target.

Overall from what I've seen so far the whole ranged attack/heal mechanic sounds like it could be a hell of a lot more complicated than simply tab targeting and hitting 1/2/3 - which appeals to me.

(or highlighting your target with the mouse, left clicking on him, turning to face your target with A or D, highlighting your selected skill with the mouse and left clicking on it)

Overall from what I've seen so far the whole ranged attack/heal mechanic sounds like it could be a hell of a lot more complicated than simply tab targeting and hitting 1/2/3 - which appeals to me.
This is exactly what the developers are aiming for. I think the skill cap in this game will be much higher than any other open world PvP game we've played before, which is good. You'll be able to tell the difference between a good player and a bad player, as there are things more than just skills and macros at play.

Will be fun to see who in the guild gets exposed as a noob clicker scrub! *looks at Axel*

We did a fun thing in World of Warcraft where we made the hunters key bind S to a /camp macro. (/camp is logout)

Will be fun to see who in the guild gets exposed as a noob clicker scrub! *looks at Axel*
Hey, I only clicked a few lesser used skills before I got the Naga :(

This healing style looks interesting. Having to aim at your allies seems like a recipe for disaster as people run in front of your target, or your target also has to avoid an enemy projectile. What i now hope for is that they don't go overkill and make heals that hit enemy players heal them...
Depending on how it plays out, I might just go Tank or DPS.

What i now hope for is that they don't go overkill and make heals that hit enemy players heal them...
The only way they would allow this is if they enabled friendly fire for DPS projectiles. Now THAT would be funny - run into the middle of a zerg and watch them kill themselves :D

The only way they would allow this is if they enabled friendly fire for DPS projectiles. Now THAT would be funny - run into the middle of a zerg and watch them kill themselves :D
That would completely invalidate the TDD AoE archer and casters. AoE heals healing hostiles also? It'd end up just being a massive mosh pit with no one dying.

That would completely invalidate the TDD AoE archer and casters. AoE heals healing hostiles also? It'd end up just being a massive mosh pit with no one dying.
Well, it would promote putting replenishing areas at the back of the fight, forcing you to retreat to be able to use the AoE heals

I like the idea of 'Healer Vision'. I remember having most of my screen plastered in raid-frames in other games, with barely enough free space left to make sure that I wasn't about to walk into AOE.

CU's Healer sounds like a challenging class to play and as far from Rift's Cleric as it is possible to get. I remember running around BGs relatively unhindered, even with a couple of Defiants constantly attacking me. These healers are described as very powerful if left alone but also easy to pressure and not 'healing tanks'.

Whilst the idea of the Empath sacrificing its own health in order to heal might sound intimidating at first, I'm sure that each of the healers is designed to be put under an equal amount of stress and pressure in a PVP environment. Managing incoming damage from your own heals won't be any more problematic than resource management as an Alchemist or managing your deployables as a Stonhealer.

At this point I like the sound of the Empath more than the others, although I don't believe that any of these videos has given us enough solid information with which to make an informed decision. I'd like to hear more about the Physician's resource system (as that's where its complexity comes from) and how its playstyle compares with the Empath. I'd like to hear more about the Simulacrum mechanic.

I am put off by the Stonehealer's apparent focus as a deployable-oriented class, where the depth comes from managing a finite number of 'turrets'.

This healing style looks interesting. Having to aim at your allies seems like a recipe for disaster as people run in front of your target, or your target also has to avoid an enemy projectile.
It reminds me of the Creator class in Ragnarok Online. They were your main Potion makers and were an extension of the Merchant class (You either had a choice after Merchant to be a 2-1 Blacksmith or a 2-2 Creator). They throw potions as an AoE effect iirc, though their offensive potions were single target. Unconventional healers, but they were damn powerful in War of Emperium. Only downside was their main stat was Intelligence, so they were glass cannons, but they never maxed out because 2-2s had to invest in a second stat as well.

Toggle Sidebar