[Camelot Unchained] Class Breakdown - Crafters

Crafters will be a fully fledged, dedicated class in Camelot Unchained - and that is quite an aspiration for an RvR game. In most MMOs we've played, crafting has been little more than an after thought or time sink that has had no real impact on the game - players have been able to completely ignore this aspect of gameplay and get all of their gear and items through other means. However in Camelot Unchained, crafters will be essential to all players, and especially for guilds.

We have already discussed what Crafting will mean to Cyrus in a previous article, and now it's time to look at the mechanics of how crafting will work.

THE BASICS

All items available in Camelot Unchained are going to be crafted. That is a profound statement - essentially, everything except the basic starting gear is going to be made by either a member of the guild or bought from another faction member. On top of that, crafting is not going to be simple or easy. It is designed to be a slow process, and we have been warned to "embrace rarity". The system has been designed form the ground up to be hard and, more importantly, rewarding for those willing to sink the time into it.

ECONOMICS

As stated above, everything - from swords to sandals - will be crafted in-game by players. The average player will have a very limited set of abilities and skills when it comes to crafting. Basic repairs and gathering will be possible on any class, however anything more advanced, including item production, will require a dedicated crafter.

This presents a logistical challenge for players especially as there will be NO auction house in-game - everything is going to be done either in person or through storefronts (see below). Furthermore, items will constantly degrade and WILL eventually be destroyed over time - they will become gradually unusable and will need to be replaced when, if not before, they completely deteriorate.

There will also be carry weight in the game - you will not be able to haul your entire house and inventory on your back. Put simply, this will necessitate the use of caravans to transport wares. Trade goods will need significant organisation to collect, haul and guard as caravans will only be able to move from stop to stop in predefined locations. Players can charge for haulage if their guild or group is able to guard it, and players who need stuff hauling will be able to take out insurance should the worst happen.

VOX MAGUS: VOICE WIZARDRY

Principally, the Vox Magus will be an old school magic instrument that acts as the primary crafting station for all crafters, and every crafter will have his own.

Each Vox will have a limited but upgradeable power supply of magic that it draws from to make stuff, and as the charge runs low the Vox efficiency will deteriorate. Crafters will be encouraged to upgrade and customise their Vox in a myriad of ways, for example with more power or storage, however with each upgrade the Vox will become exponentially more expensive in the same way a combatants equipment would in any normal MMO.

There are 6 processes to the crafting system, some of which all classes will be able to participate in. These are as follows:

TAKING

Crafters will be able to plant fields, tend flocks (presumably for leather food), and raise trees (magical growth). Mines will be instanced, I believe, with bubbles or quarries being the primary method of this. However it has also been mentioned that The Depths will play an important role in acquiring the particularly exotic minerals, including over 20 metals according to the current design spreadsheet.

PURIFYING

Essentially this stage is an interactive way of turning ore into bars, logs into planks, etc. Reagents may be involved at additional cost, for example to upgrade iron to steel.

SHAPING

Now this process will comprise of two parts: Shaping and Blending. Blending will allow a crafter to mix and match materials to create alloys that may be far stronger than their constituent parts. Say for example one of our crafters finds a particularly effective steel or even more exotic alloy, mentioned also is the possibility of making them luminescent or even magical! Think of this as being akin to modern metallurgy.

MAKING

The actual bashing of steel and the sharpening of axes - this is the part where everything comes together. The final quality of the item will be heavily dependent on the material it's made from - much of the effort being put into creating an item will be in sourcing and shaping its constituent parts. It is also possible to have critical success when crafting an item, with a posited 1/1000 chance - this is likely to be how the truly legendary weapons are forged. This step will be the easiest to automate, though that isn't to make light of the effort required to get here. A good crafter is likely to be one third grafter, one third mage and one third scholar. The Vox will also be operational while its owner is away or offline.

BREAKING AND REPAIRING

I'm lumping these together as they are relatively minor, but are both performed at the Vox. This is likely what a novice or apprentice crafter will busy himself with on release. You can salvage, break down or improve items using these processes, and improving these abilities means that more material is recycled through the full resource cycle.

CRAFTERS BESTIARY

PLAYER CHARACTER APPRENTICES (PCAs)

Player Character Apprentices are junior crafters that will be able to make use of a senior crafters skill and Vox. This will allow guild workshops to be more effective and more productive, especially if the senior crafter is offline (read "has full time job"). They will be able to oversee the Vox during shaping, for example, freeing up the Master Crafter for research or making. The system will also boost the apprentices progression not only mechanically in-game but also through the knowledge of the systems and their functions. This also allows newer crafters to get involved quickly and make a real impact on a guilds economy from day 1.

NON-PLAYER CHARACTER APPRENTICES (NPCAs)

Pretty much the same deal, except these dudes are robots! The costs of their contracts are paid to the realm, and their costs will DECREASE if the realm is outnumbered or losing.

STOREFRONTS

Very little has been fleshed out as of yet, but what we do know is that Storefronts will be situated in specific zones allotted for them, and that crafters will more likely than not find it easiest to site their Voxes within these zones.

IN CONCLUSION

Crafting is of such importance to Camelot Unchained that it took up a major part of the reveals during the Kickstarter campaign, and we know it is a personal goal of Mark Jacobs to implement the system he himself has wanted for many years. It is not something that can simply be ignored, and could even make or break the game.

Cyrus is very keen to recruit a strong, dedicated team of crafters and will encourage and support them to become the primary crafting team on our server!

More information on crafting will be released soon, so keep your ears to the ground or just keep checking back for further updates!

Excellent breakdown, @Hakugard - many thanks for doing this! I think recruiting dedicated crafters is going to be very important for us, and I really hope we attract a good team with the same mentality as you. It's definitely something different for us to deal with as a guild, and I'm very much looking forward to the new challenges it will present us!

One of the things that excites me most, which I left out for brevity, is that every crafter will hallmark his work. So every time you buy or sell an that item it's their name on the product, there aren't many or perhaps any games in which that would matter.

But in CU that could mean all the difference.

Thanks for the great breakdown :)

Where it says that all items will deteriorate and eventually be destroyed over time, would this apply to powerful weapons and magic items ? Or can these be maintained for characters by crafters ? It seems a bit cruel to have an awesome sword or staff made at great effort and cost that is ultimately going to be useless.

I would like to see my character's main staff/weapon as something that will be with him/her for a long time.

Hmm, this is a bit off-putting.

I've always considered my gear to be part of my character, if it isn't permanent and can be broken and lost then I'll never really feel the need to improve it.

This is one of the main reasons I can't get into games like Day Z and Rust.

I don't like the idea of breakable items either, although i do have to say that in original DaoC weapons had durability and condition.... However, in that game i NEVER had an item get anywhere near breaking, it would have taken years of use to do so.

Having said that, i do believe CU will implement a system that will see items needing to be replaced on a more regular basis than DaoC did due to the crafter profession.

If high end items never need to be replaced this will reduce the amount of work for crafters. I think the system will certainly be tweaked when they look at how much effect the durability system is having on crafter workload. If high level crafters dont have enough work,, item deterioration will speed up, if the converse then item deterioration will be slowed down.

While i don't like the idea of breakable items, i am certainly willing to put up with it if it increases the viability of the crafting class. The crafting class will be vital to the success of the game, imagine if you simply cannot get items made because high lvl crafters get bored, or have too hard a time selling items due to top end characters never needing to replace items and quit? We need a system that works for both adventurers and crafters, which is going to mean some compromise from both sides.

I've always considered my gear to be part of my character, if it isn't permanent and can be broken and lost then I'll never really feel the need to improve it.
I can certainly see where you are coming from, and I wasn't sure about this at first either. But we just have to get into a different mindset with our gear. In the past once we've earned the top gear in the game there is been little for us to do but wait for an expansion. And while it might feel good at the time to think you've "made it", it's actually quite boring that your journey has ended to some degree.

I think we will have to adapt how we treat gear - we can still earn the best gear in the game, but that will be a constant guild effort of securing the best materials and supporting our crafters to ensure they can keep up with demand. This will provide us with more things to organise and do, keep the game economy interesting, and keep the game world interesting because every faction will need constant access to mines and ores.

Remember too that this isn't a PvE game where gear progression is the ultimate goal - this is an RvR game where our progression is measured each night we step up and fight the other faction. Our prize will be the land, not what we are wearing :)

I dont think I've ever had a weapon in an mmo thats ever lasted more than one gear tier, which is usually less than 4-5 months. I don't expect to see any CU high end or legendary weapons perishing before this timescale. So for me its just another way of keeping your gear fresh without adding on layers of content.

I dont think I've ever had a weapon in an mmo thats ever lasted more than one gear tier, which is usually less than 4-5 months. I don't expect to see any CU high end or legendary weapons perishing before this timescale. So for me its just another way of keeping your gear fresh without adding on layers of content.
Good point. No PvE changes things a lot. The durability factor also gives crafters more to factor into their items, i read somewhere from MJ that durability is one of the characteristics of a material and you can gain more of it or trade some of it for other ones during the refining process. This means if you hate the idea of breakable weapons you go for extremely high durability ones, which while they may be slightly poorer at their job will deteriorate a lot more slowly.

In DaoC i remember swapping out my best weapon when we were hitting on a keep door etc to avoid damaging it and i think it will be the same here.

I would also like to point out that weapons can A. Be repaired and or B. be improved! If you really like a sword so long as the materials and the skill to repair it is there you might be able to keep it indefinitely.

Also voldraxx is right about certain alloys being potentially more durable, it may have a factor in what sort of weapon you want.

I'm pretty hyped about the crafting in CU. And i think that apprentice thing could be a good place for me to start with. Don't you think @Redh? I could keep an eye on stuff in the vox when the master crafter is at rl work. And add to the gathering/farming power when there are scheduled guild events for crafting.

We will see how that works out in the end. But for now I think I will try to focus my pre-release research on crafting and everything around that. :D

Whoopwhoop

Great, now Haku will have someone to talk to about this. We'll give you two a little crafting channel on TeamSpeak :p

Nice, I feel honored! Can't wait for more information to get revealed so we can talk about how we get things going in the most efficient way :)

Toggle Sidebar