The Archer is a physical ranged DPS class concept for Camelot Unchained. It specialises in dealing piercing damage from distance, and has good mobility. Here is all the information we have been able to gather so far, based on the Class Reveal Livestreams and public updates on the official website.
To watch this and other Camelot Unchained Class Reveal videos, check out our YouTube playlist here.
BLACKGUARD – ARTHURIAN
- Playstyle: stand back and keep distance; will need more protection from group in close quarters
- Uses the most powerful bows in the game
- Not as many unique abilities, they are a less diverse and a more focused class in terms of playstyle, but very good at what they do
WINTER'S SHADOW – VIKING
- Playstyle: shorter range than other Archers, but more effective at close and mid range. Best kiting class with melee and mid range attacks
- Good for moving around in snow
- Carries a shield can be used to block and hit people with
- Using a shield will be an active switch ability, not automatic / passive
- Good at weapon switching, useful for closing distances and retreating
- Very good at skirmishes and solo play
FOREST STALKER - TUATHA DE DANANN
- Playstyle: Best crowd control abilities of all Archers
- Can use trees / the forest as a source of ammo
- Can call on the trees for help (literally)
ARCHER GENERAL INFORMATION
- The Archer is the only ranged DPS class confirmed for Beta 1 (along with healers and heavy fighters)
- There will be 2 types of ammo: Basic arrows (that will be either limitless or can carry a huge amount) and Advanced arrows (made by crafters) which will be more powerful inventory items with a limited capability to carry.
- Ammo may have some kind of magic element (crowd control, effects such as vines on the arrows for TDD, etc) but it is primarily physical damage. Archers will not just be Mages with bows.
- Advanced arrows will have different particle effects to help the enemy differentiate them.
- Archers will be able to carry advanced arrow components in their inventories and assemble these themselves (not during a fight, and not as powerful as dedicated crafters can make).
- There may be a possibility of being able to salvage/recover arrows from the dead, although not with unlimited use, as arrows would have durability.
- Firing an arrow is a multi-step process: pull arrow, load arrow, aim and fire. The system is modular. You can just walk around with a bow; you can draw the arrow and load it onto your bow without firing. You can set a button for each of these steps separately, or you can set an ability that does the entire process in one go. Firing an arrow can be either 1 button click (clickers!) or 3 – 4 abilities.
- Archers can run at full speed while having their bow out. However, if they draw/load the arrow they will slow down. They can't kite at full speed firing arrows.
- Because of the A.I.R. system, arrows will interact with the elements. For example: mage creates fireball, archer shoots arrow through it = fire arrows!
- Arrows are very fast moving projectiles better for targeting, whereas Mage spells are slower but have some tracking abilities.
- Archers will not have stealth. Like other classes, they can use camouflage instead, by using their surroundings and specific camouflage gear. It will be useful at the start of the fight, for the element of surprise, but you can’t go back into camouflage after the fight started to escape.
- Camouflage and stealth are server side, your game client will not be able to see them before they have been detected. This means the UI can't be hacked to show a radar.
- Players cannot move at full speed in camouflage. It is for moving around the same type of terrain slowly. You can't instacast and disappear.
- Distrupts and interrupts are percentage based, so players can still use their abilities if the disruption attack is low.
- Archers can use melee weapons, although they will never be as good with them as a heavy fighter for example. It's always good to have a back-up weapon for when that melee train is on you and you can't create distance.
- Shots can targets specific body parts (Arrow to the knee!). The PhysX system will prevent you shooting someone in the foot if they are only peeking their head over the wall or if you are above them and can't see their feet.
- Range in Camelot Unchained is much farther than in other games. So much so that if you are shooting at maximum range, accuracy will be affected and time to hit will be longer.
- Archers are better against light armoured classes than mages. Mages are better against heavy armour. Mages are less mobile (stop and cast), archers more mobile (fire and move, albeit slower). Mages prefer the fight to stay in one area, while Archers like moving the field of battle. Archers are better at picking people off at long range.
- Each Archer is more effective in their own landscapes. Eg: TDD better in a forest, Viking better in snow.
- Melee can close distance on Archers by avoiding / dodging / using terrain (hide behind rocks, trees, etc) arrows. Range can stop melee closing distance with range attacks and fighting in a more open area. Also, shooting them in the legs!
- Arrows can't travel through objects such as trees, rocks, people (!), etc