Anthem - 22nd February 2019

Remus_

Guild Member
Class
Crafter
Gross, you pre-ordered? You silly widget.

Just wanted to clarify a few things:

VIP Demo runs a week before the open one, from 17:00 GMT Friday the 25th of January to 02:00 GMT Monday 28th. It can be pre-loaded starting 23 Jan.

Multiple websites and the lead producer's twitter mention that people with access to the VIP Demo via pre-order/subscription will be able to refer three friends to be able to access the VIP Demo as well, without them requiring to pre-order or have an origin/EA subscription. Furthermore this can be done before servers go live, allowing friends to preload as well. I meant to post this yesterday so this is old new for some. I was going to suggest @Caellin give those friend passes to at least @Redh and @Dia, and anyone else who was interested (if no one else, then me :p), but evidently that's already been done! (Damned phone data running out!)

Open Demo runs from 17:00 GMT Friday 1st of February to 02:00 GMT Monday the 4th. Pretty sure you can already preload it via Origin as well, just won't be able to play until the 1st unless you have VIP access.

The last item I wish to clarify is that, like @Struckd, I am quite averse to addressing Caellin as anything even vaguely similar to "captain", but I'm sure Caellin was referring to our glorious overlord Redh in this instance, as I imagine he was quite intent on basking in his magnificent tyrannical radiance and thus sent him the friend pass to that end. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Dia

Dia

Guild Officer
Well Caellin contacted me and asked me to contact Redh to ask if he can come out to play. I of course said "only if I can join". These boys have no choice but to take me along.

How do I send this invite to people?

Caellin

Guild Member
Hey all,

Me and Remus_ have played the VIP Demo and are quite happy with what we have seen gameplay wise.
There are still some issues with keyboard + mouse while flying and there were some connectivity issues, but the game was well optimized and we had fun playing the limited content we got.

Who will be joining us for the open demo this weekend? Demo starts on Feb 1st 5PM UK and ends Feb 4th 2AM.

Redh

Guild Leader
Class
Healer
Anyone who is interested in Anthem at all should definitely take advantage of this FREE open demo and try the game out for themselves. It speaks a lot to the developers intentions that they are allowing people to try the game before purchase and not tied to a pre-order.

I also tried the VIP demo last week (Thanks Caellin!) and there were a few issues that would prevent me from playing this game. The most noticeable was the control system which did not allow proper mouse control, but emulated controller thumbstick control for flying AND ALSO for aiming and movement. This created a laggy feeling and a loss of complete control over the movement of your character. This will bother some people more than others. I have read that they have an update for this to correct the issue and employ "proper" mouse controls which should be in this demo version, so it's worth checking out.

Aside from that, the games biggest selling point was, for me, its biggest downfall - flight. Awkward controls aside, as you'll get used to those regardless if you play the game enough, I felt it detracted from the overall gameplay loop and made the game less strategic and more spammy. I think always being able to move your position so radically means you rarely get pinned down, and you rarely feel as though you are holding a position on the battlefield. However I will admit that I have not seen enough of the game to see how the developers have countered these issues, so again this is just my personal feeling based on very little actual gameplay.

Other than that, the game has great graphics and I liked the ability systems. Some work on the UI is needed, but I suspect based on their responses to feedback they will make the necessary improvements. They are open to adding PvP in the future if the demand is there, but for now it is a purely PvE game.

This is one of two big 'AAA' games coming out this quarter, the other being Division 2. So if you are bored and want a new game to sink your time into, please do check this out and see if it's for you. And if not, come back later for when we'll be setting up squads for Division 2. But whatever you do, don't miss out as there are slim pickings for multiplayer PC games at the moment!

Redh

Guild Leader
Class
Healer
So Anthem seems to be getting a pretty negative response so far. Lots of bugs, endless loading screens, poor interface and loot pages, limited content and repetitive gameplay. The game clearly has some potential, but it's just not there yet. Endgame consists of repeating 2 story missions and a 3rd new mission. That's basically it.

I would suggest waiting 3-6 months to see how development progresses, and if you must jump in now consider doing it on EA Premier for a months subscription instead of paying for the full game.

You have been warned!

Vikingstad

Guild Member
Class
Crafter
Sounds like The Division at launch,, hope for their sake they work as hard to fix endgame content

Circus

Guild Member
Class
Heavy Fighter
Luky I never bothered with it in the first place... I can only handle one shitty launch per year!

Struckd

Guild Member
Class
Mage
Such a shame, maybe like Destiny 2 where over time it will improve. The Division it is!

Redh

Guild Leader
Class
Healer
I think Anthem still has potential for the future - it's one to watch. The gameplay was there, it just needed a more interesting game based around it.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it and see how it develops, but even with the announced day 1 fixes it's not enough to make me buy it yet.