Anthem - 22nd February 2019

Caellin

Guild Member
Hey all,

As some of you may know I am a close follower of Anthem and think this game may be the perfect blend between Destiny and Division, both games I have enjoyed grealy.
I have been holding back on getting to excited, cause a lot of games in recent history have been killed by its own hype.

However as the game is getting closer to release, it is starting to look even better than expected and a lot of recent pre-view videos have people slowly starting to like what the developers are showing and trying to accomplish.

Next week will mark one of the first, but probably more will follow, times that you can sign-up and try out the game in closed alpha.
If your are interested, like me, you can sign up here! Please note that not everyone will be included in the Closed Alpha, but you can atleast try :)

Just know it is still in Alpha stage, however the videos suggest to me its closer to Beta, but it is a great chance to see what the game has to offer.

1543772873312.png

Remus_

Guild Member
Class
Crafter
I have very low and very few expectations for a title published by EA, and developed by BioWare, but I'll admit that Anthem has had my interest since the Andromeda debacle. Maybe they'll get their shit together in some way or another? In any case, I happen to be free at all four test times (barring (hopefully) our usual weekly raid time), so here's hoping they let me in.

Struckd

Guild Member
Class
Mage
BioWare yay!
EA boo!

I have refrained from touching any EA titles apart from The Division, due to my desire to play with everyone being greater then the hate.

I shall watch from a distance...maybe within a comfortable bush like a creep.

Dia

Guild Officer
Yeah, I am weary of the EA name on it as well and it's what kept me from getting hyped about it but will give it an honest go and we shall see. If I get in that is...

Caellin

Guild Member
I agree with Struckd.
Bioware has made some amazing games in the past: Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect up till Andromeda.
Not to forget their original Knights of the Old Republic and of course SW:TOR, which arguably was still a good game.
Apparently their work on Andromeda was poor cause EA wanted them to switch all attention to Anthem, probably cause of the cash store potential of a multiplayer game...

EA is a shit show at the moment, but lets all hope the current backlash will prevent them from going further down the drain.

Most important to me is that Bioware gets the chance to release a complete and enjoyable game and not some half-assed game full of unexplored potential. It is hard to say, but as I said, from what I am seeing it seems the game is on track and a februari release doesn't feel like a stretch. Only thing I am slightly worried about is that all content they have pushed so far has been inside the same area. I hope that is only cause they don't wanna reveal to much about the world and are keeping things close to the chest, for the ultimate "wow" moments when you play yourself. Else this could be the smallest map in gaming history :D

Redh

Guild Leader
Class
Healer
Just got the confirmation email for Alpha, and am pre-loading now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - the (UK) times are:

Saturday 8th December: 15:00 - 18:00 and 20:00 - 23:00
Sunday 9th December: 15:00 - 18:00 and 20:00 - 23:00

Who else is in, and which times will you definitely be online?

Reactions: Dia

Remus_

Guild Member
Class
Crafter
Just got the confirmation email for Alpha, and am pre-loading now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - the (UK) times are:

Saturday 8th December: 15:00 - 18:00 and 20:00 - 23:00
Sunday 9th December: 15:00 - 18:00 and 20:00 - 23:00

Who else is in, and which times will you definitely be online?
The times you've got appear to be correct. I've also just received the email, and I can be online for all four sessions so long as others are as well (and so long as I'm getting sufficient enjoyment out of it! :p).

In fact, I just so happen to have both days entirely open with a big chunk of free time on either end, so I wouldn't really mind playing all four if I have someone to talk to, though I doubt there's that much to test.

There is, however, the matter of the weekly Destiny raid sort-of-but-not-fully in between the first two sessions. We still haven't really discussed what's happening about that yet @Dia, @Caellin, @Struckd, @Vikingstad.

Caellin

Guild Member
I am also in and will start preloading today.

As posted in the Destiny thread, I done and goofed and won't be available for the second window on Saturday.
Hopefully we can tackle Last Wish on friday (today), which would make me available for all remaining windows.

If not I can only do the two early windows on either saturday or sunday.

Would be great if we can team-up, if we can't then it would still be great to talk to you and describe my awesome talent for this game.

Dia

Guild Officer
I also got in! Are you guys going to be on from Saturday afternoon at 15:00? I imagine the servers will be crowded and possibly hard to get on, at least I expect issues.

Caellin

Guild Member
I will be online Saturday at 15:00 UK time!
Issues not expected EA can handle their shit...

Caellin

Guild Member
First mission and freeplay multiplayer will be available!
You will get to bask in my glory!

Remember that everything in this Alpha is under NDA.

Dia

Guild Officer
Well, I liked the way it looks, the combat was okay (not as good as in Destiny) but it was good, the jumping was fun and it looks like the quests will be interesting. I did not like the swimming controls one bit, I almost rage quit at that point, I could not control my character at all. If they don't change that and it's a big-ish part of the game, it will really put me off buying it. But all in all, it looks promising.

Caellin

Guild Member
So I ain't sure how private this thread is, cause of NDA we can't say too much.

I liked the combat, but we were clearly very limited in this Alpha. We got one Javelin with one weapon and we couldn't change our gear, which didn't make this to interesting and comboing abilities was very linear. I do think that once we get customization and different Javelins (classes, the combat will be a lot more interesting and you can pull a lot of combo's, what seems to be an important part of combat (like in Mass Effect. The mission where a lot of fun and even in freeplay the world events had a lot of variation to them. Story was a bit vague, but they clearly cut a lot off stuff, as to not to reveal to much.

Flying and swimming was atrocious on PC, I had to lower the sensitivity to ~15% to have any control, it felt like the controls where trailing my mouse movement instead of stopping once I stopped moving the mouse. I spent the last 15 minutes playing with a controller and the flying was amazing! Clearly they made the controls with a controller in mind, which didn't translate well to the multi-directional controls of swimming and flying. Definitely needs fixing before release!

All in all, considering the Alpha build and the limitations, this game is gonna be a lot fun in its final stage especially in a squad!

Caellin

Guild Member
So today the gave more information on gear progression, which can be found here:
Main take-aways:
  • Gear (stats) and appearance (looks) are separate.
  • Loadout system is available, so you can set-up different weapons and/or Javelins.
  • Gear is mainly gained from defeating enemies and is RNG based, crafting is available but only as a supplement to the loot-grinding.
  • Gear will consist of 10 slots.
    • 2 weapon slots, depending on Javelin you can('t) equip certain weapon types.
    • 6 Components, which enhance specific effects (status effects, ammo reserves, extended flight-time).
    • 1 Support Gear, which adds a specific ability to your Javelin.
    • 1 Specialization slot, depending on your Javelin which enhances your ultimate ability.
  • Each rarity level adds an insciption to the item, which adds another affect tot he weapon
  • You can't reroll a specific inscription on a item, but you can get the blueprint and re-craft untill you get the desired inscriptions.
  • Inscriptions will stack

Caellin

Guild Member
Clips from the latest developer stream, showing off improvement flight control on mouse + keyboard.

Caellin

Guild Member
For everyone who does not read-up on Anthem.

Anthem will be opening the game to an open demo on February 1st - February 3rd, freely accessible to everyone.
Instead of playing just the first few hours of the game, we will be dropped somehwere along early-to-mid game progression, in order to get a real feel for the game. The demo will be run on a beta version, on at about 6 weeks older than there latest build. So expect some bugs that may already been fixed in the release version. Also they will be adjusting the game balance and economy, in order to allow some quicker or easier progression than you will in the final release.

Anyone interested in playing the demo, please let us know so we can group up and enjoy some co-op game.
1548187820397.png

P.S. @Redh Can you rename the thread to: Anthem - The answer to all world problems(?):p

I have been so fed-up with shitty, boring games that I have preordered already for the VIP Demo this weekend. Figured it was inevitable anyway, may aswell bite the bullet now and possibly go down with the ship (along with all the other games in recent history.... still skeptic in the end). If anyone is also willing to join their captain, you can join me in the VIP demo this weekend, perhaps there will be no need for any of you to play the demo at all.

Struckd

Guild Member
Class
Mage
Sorry, Redh's the only captain I'm looking to mutiny against. You can go down wish your ship.

I'll wait from the sidelines and see how the demo pans out before committing some nice cold hard cash.