[Camelot Unchained] Faction Breakdown - Tuatha De Danann

Discussion in 'Guild News and Information' started by Redh, 16th Dec 2015.

1. Redh

Redh Guild Leader

[​IMG]

THE TUATHA DE DANANN FACTION

Welcome to the last of our 3 articles outlining the factions in Camelot Unchained. Finally we examine the Tuatha De Danann and their motivations, races, play style and classes.

[​IMG]

GENERAL

How should we describe the Tuatha De Danann? You almost feel like you have to start off by qualifying that they aren't such a bad bunch, they've just had a hard life and have gone a little bit funny in the head. You want to gently ease in and set the tone before describing the complete and utter bat-shit-craziness that surrounds their lives. I'm sure we've all been in that situation - like when you are finally introducing your new girlfriend to your parents, and just as you get to the front door you pause, turn to your girlfriend and say "Well, I should probably warn you about my mother...".

With that qualification made, the Tuatha De Danann are complete and utter bonkers, and have clearly taken too many blows to the head. On the surface they may seem like your typical tree-hugging fairies, but this is a twisted, incestuous bunch of necro-lovers who would just as happily wear your eye balls as earrings than shake your hand and welcome you inside for tea.

The Tuatha De Danann see beauty and survival in nature, and have a deep admiration for how "life finds a way". They see this as the root of their survival against the Veil storms, and clearly haven't heeded the warnings of Jurassic Park! If the snow and ice is home to the Vikings, and the rolling countryside and warmth is home to the Arthurians, then the forest is surely the insane asylum for the Tuatha De Da-what-the-hell-are-they-doing-with-those-entrails.

The Tuatha De Danann have an unhealthy obsession with death. They draw power from corpses, and mimic the way the energy of life eventually returns to the earth. Everything is connected, and everything is a cycle of life and death. This is even reflected in their combat style, with the ability to engage and disengage their enemy more easily than other factions.

Traits: Strive to become one with nature.

TUATHA DE DANANN GROUP PLAY STYLE

The Tuatha De Danann has a different speed mechanic to the other factions. It is the only one that doesn't break on damage, and this is something that could potentially be used strategically to mess with their enemy and have more control over disengaging from combat. There is of course a risk with this - players will take increased damage while the speed buff is active. Hit and run can be an effective strategy especially against larger numbers, and this makes the Tuatha De Danann an excellent skirmish faction, especially against the Arthurian who take longer to ramp up their abilities.

Another stand out theme of the Tuatha De Danann is their affinity to death. Many classes respond differently when surrounded by death and corpses, so much so that it shapes their combat. The Shapeshifter becomes tougher when surrounded by corpses. The Spirit Mage gains buffs when contributing to killing blows. The Devout can consume corpses to increase healing capabilities. The Support gains buffs or debuffs from nearby player deaths. How this plays out will be interesting, and it could be used as a scaling mechanism to balance the faction against larger or smaller opposition numbers.

If the Arthurian and Viking factions are two opposing play styles, then the Tuatha De Danann falls somewhere in between. They have abilities that will frustrate both factions, but they do not seem to be a direct counter to either. At this stage it is easier to see where the other factions will fit in than it is the TDD.

Typically, the Tuatha De Danann is seen as the "skirmish" faction, moving from one fight to another, setting up ambushes and caravan attacks and picking off players. It is also portrayed as some kind of underground freedom-fighter, anti-establishment faction launching surprise attacks and generally being a nuisance to ther others. I think this underestimates the TDD who should be capable of far more. Could they be the anti-zerg faction? They certainly seem to have some mechanics that could aid in this area.

Of course much of this will depend on the tweaking and power of the classes. How will their initial burst damage compare to the Viking? How much will this power drop off over a sustained fight? How will the death mechanics effect all this? During the class reveals, the focus seemed to be more on the lore and mechanics of the TDD classes rather than how it all fits together and how they stack up against their enemies. Only time will tell!

TUATHA DE DANANN RACES

[​IMG]

Silverhands - The Silverhands have a long tradition of tremendous sacrifice. When they come of age, each member of this race gives up their right arm as a sign of dedication to the Realm.

Hamadryads - Hamadryads defend the Great Protectors of the forest, the mighty oak trees that drink in the destructive power of the Veilstorms like water. In all the Realms, the Hamadryads are the closest to the forest, for they are part of it themselves.

Luchorpan - Small and often underestimated, the Luchorpan are natural-born tricksters, masters of misdirection and illusion. They believe that lies can reveal the truth, that a person's hidden nature is revealed when they are the victim of a prank.

Tuatha - Tall, proud, and filled with the strength of the forest, the Tuatha De Danann grow branching horns on the crown of their heads. They are the defenders of the woods, and the keepers of its deepest secrets.

Bean Sidhe - The Bean Sidhe are a ghostly race, who float rather than walk upon the earth, and whose heads often hover above their bodies. They are mournful creatures, born of terrible tragedy in the lands of the Tuatha De Danann.

Fir Bog - Known as the Caretakers, the Fir Bog protect the bogs and swamps with giant-sized might. Some say that dark secrets lie deep down in the peat and moss, and each Fir Bog hides a deep mental connection to every other Caretaker.

TUATHA DE DANANN CLASSES

[​IMG]

WISP - TUATHA DE DANANN SCOUT

The TDD Scout has the ability to place a magical lantern on the ground and from this lantern deploy a Wisp which he embodies to perform his scouting duties. The Wisp must stay within range of the lantern, but this lantern can be moved by other players to extend range. While the Wisp is outside of the lantern, its health is reduced until it must return and recharge.

The Wisp uses light and effects to highlight enemy players, but this also makes him easier to see in the dark. While the Wisp is the fastest Scout class, it is also the easiest to kill - however the players main character doesn't die with the Wisp, so another may be deployed relatively quickly.

Role: Scouting, highlighting enemy players
    Range: Melee

FIANNA - TUATHA DE DANANN HEAVY FIGHTER

The Fianna has more weapon diversity than the Viking Heavy Fighter, but less than the Arthurian. Like the Viking, he has active damage mitigation and health regeneration - this means he must be in combat in order to most effectively soak up damage. He wears less heavy armour, but as a result has greater speed to close the distance. He also offers good support through disruption abilities. The Fianna's war cry provides him with personal buffs which are increased by the number of allies nearby.

Role: Group protection and disruptions, strong against lighter armour

RED CAP - TUATHA DE DANANN STEALTHER

The Red Cap is a blood-deficient character who loses blood when he is not in the Veil. Like the Arthurian Stealther, the Red Cap will prepare for combat by first entering the Veil to top up his red cells, and then exit the Veil to engage an enemy player in combat. His attacks focus on stealing and draining blood from players, and to keep things interesting he wears his enemies souls as death hoods.

Due to this mechanic, the Red Cap is weaker in certain situations where his target is not blood-based, for example when attacking spirit pets, Odin stones or fortress doors.

Role: Blood-sapping DPS, strong against Mages

BLACK RIDER - TUATHA DE DANANN SHAPESHIFTER

Unlike the other Shapeshifters, The Black Rider does not transform into different creatures, but instead ramps up in power, size and toughness as he remains in combat. He is prone to losing his head at times, using it as a weapon to throw at the enemy and his spinal chord as a whip. The Black Rider is less physically potent than the other Shapeshifters and will eventually burn out if he remains in combat for too long. As such, he prefers to get stuck in there, grow in size, have his way with his target, and then go limp and roll over to get some rest before starting again. Typical man...

The Black Rider, like other TDD classes, benefits from being surrounded by the bodies of the fallen which increase his defensive capabilities.

Role: DPS and increasing enemy fear

MORRIGAN - TUATHA DE DANANN SPIRIT MAGE

The Morrigan uses spirit pets as projectiles, throwing cows, wolves and crows at the enemy. This offers flexibility when attacking different kinds of armour and targets. Their attacks tend to focus on a single target, unlike the other Spirit Mages. The Morrigan acts closer to a traditional Mage than the other Spirit Mages, and also has the longest range. He gains power when contributing to killing blows.

Role: DPS pet class, mainly single target
    Range: Mid range

DARK FOOL - TUATHA DE DANANN SUPPORT

The Dark Fool uses auras (via Reed Pipes) and instant shouts to provide buffs to his allies. He also uses sound and magic to create illusions to debuff and trick the enemy. The Dark Fool must select carefully which aura to play, as there is a high start up cost which makes rapid switching less effective. The Dark Fool is a highly situational class which is great to have when you are struggling, but less useful when you are already winning. His abilities scale when surrounded by more enemies, so this is a potential zerg-buster class. Positioning is important to not only stay within range of allies, but to also gain buffs from nearby player deaths.

The TDD speed buff is the only one in the game that doesn't break on damage, which gives the TDD unique options to disengage during a battle and return when stronger. However the buff also causes allies to take increased damage while active, so its use must be carefully planned and executed.

Role: Provide combat and speed buffs to allies, use illusions and tricks to confuse the enemy
    Range: Mid-range

BLESSED CROW - TUATHA DE DANANN DEVOUT

The Blessed Crow is a mage type DPS / healer hybrid which deploys multiple cauldrons on the battlefield to boost power and area of effect abilities. Cauldrons will decay over time, so new ones need to be added constantly. The Blessed Crow also receives healing buffs when in close proximity to dead corpses - the more corpses, the better the healing. This could help to scale healing power during larger scale battles without it being overpowered during smaller skirmishes.

Role: Hybrid healer / DPS with AoE abilities

EMPATH - TUATHA DE DANANN HEALER

The Empath is the only pure healer that doesn't use projectiles to heal his target. However it goes from bad to worse, as he instead transfers his allies wounds / afflictions to his own body and then heals himself. This will obviously require great timing, and present the enemy with a unique opportunity to switch focus targets and attempt to burst down the Empath. There are some positives though - the Empath has the strongest heals in the game, but with the risks involved he may not be at liberty to use them as freely.

The Empath is the ultimate balancing act, and the player will need to pay close attention to a lot of things, most of all his own health bar.

Role: Pure healer

DRUID - TUATHA DE DANANN MAGE

The Druid has a lot of very powerful abilities and uses AoE more than the other Mages. His abilities are slower and larger in their effect, making them very powerful but easy to avoid. To get the most out of the Druid his group will need to assist in setting up the enemy and keeping them in the path of the incoming spells. Players will need to concentrate on their positioning and casts, as with a longer, stationary cast time comes an increased chance of being disrupted.

Role: Extremely high AoE damage, but requires group co-ordination to be most effective

FOREST STALKER - TUATHA DE DANANN ARCHER

The Forest Stalker has a shorter range than other Archers in Camelot Unchained, but has better crowd control abilities. He can even call upon the forest itself to aid in slowing his enemies and to provide him with additional ammo from the trees, but this is of course dependant on him being in a forest. They use a lot of poisons in their arrows to create effect-over-time diseases. His power on a single target will escalate with each attack, meaning he may be more effective when focusing on one target than on many.

Role: DPS

[​IMG]

This article attempts to outline the main differences in play style between the three factions of Camelot unchained - the Arthurian, Viking and Tuatha De Danann realms. The information contained herein is based on many sources of information released to us by the developers, but as yet there has been no definitive resource to explain these differences. As such, this is just one interpretation of that information, and may of course be subject not only to change, but to complete misrepresentations!!

6 Comments

1. Raffles
      Raffles

When I came of age, I couldnt have chopped off my right arm for all the tea in China.
      Daemion likes this.
    2. Karesk
      Karesk

The TDD are, in the words of the developers, "dark fuckers" and I find their look and feel much more appealing than the *yawn* Vikings or *shudder* Arthurians.

In terms of Realm playstyle, I see the Arthurians and TDD as natural opposites. The TDD are portrayed as having the potential to initiate in a powerful way and use that initial momentum to win, but break against the superior stamina of the Arthurians if they get bogged down. The Druid's Obscene Blasphemy is a clear example of how the TDD lack sustainability; as he casts more spells during the fight his vulnerability to damage increases, encouraging him to disengage to recuperate if the fight drags on. I'm not quite sure how this supposed fragility works with the design of the Black Rider (which needs to get stuck into the fight in order to ramp up in power) or the common theme of corpse utilisation.

The real difference between the Arthurians and Vikings seems to be the focus of the former on having greater range with the latter consistently advertised as melee-centric. This seems especially true when you examine their Archer and Mage classes. I assume that the TDD generally fits somewhere in the middle of this.

In terms of class design, the Arthurians seem to own most of the typical, narrowly-focused and perhaps even 'safe' concepts. Vikings generally seem to be hybridised into melee damage or explicitly designed to support that. The TDD are harder to nail down in the same way but I don't think they've been given cast-off ideas so much as the devs have saved some of the most interesting concepts for them.

- The Dark Fool scaling with a bad situation sounds very intriguing (and powerful!) and whilst I might not necessarily want to play one, I'd love to have a Fool in my group.
      - The Druid sounds perfectly designed to reward a well-organised group and punish the headless chickens of an enemy zerg. I imagine that the Druid's spells will be very potent to compensate for its stated disadvantages.
      - The idea behind the Red Cap sounds pretty cool and it could end up being the premiere healer hunter, unlike the debuff-focused Viking or the interrupt-oriented Arthurian. I also can't realistically imagine being in a situation where you'd actually regret being weak against bloodless targets.
      - The Wisp sounds like the best Scout because you can carry the lantern around with your group without having to worry about maneuvering to a new spot to use your scouting form.
      - The Black Rider's ramping mechanic sounds awesome and I prefer this approach to rolling your face across your keyboard to cast random abilities as a Child of Loki or picking and sticking with one form as the Enchanted Knight.
      - The Blessed Crow lacks specifics but your description makes it sounds pretty interesting. ;) Whether I'd want to play one or not would really depend on the implementation of the cauldrons.
      - The Morrigan lacks specifics. It sounded more like a Mage than a real pet class and I don't understand what the implications of this will be for Realm balance or desirability. There is a good reason that these classes will be released later in the development cycle and that's because they don't sound very developed yet! :p
      - I also think that we need more details to properly compare the Empath to the other Healers. Whilst classes are not symmetrical, they are designed to be balanced and on a conceptual level I see nothing wrong with the Empath's design. I'm interested in how the Simulacrum will fit into this and perhaps it will alleviate concerns about the Empath being overly vulnerable.
      - The Forest Stalker sounds useful for the group but suffers from the same appeal problem as the Viking's Shadow Walker; it is described less as a killer and more as a debuffer. We don't know how much difference there will be in the damage-dealing potential in practice, or how powerful the control will be to compensate for it.
      - I didn't find the Fianna particularly appealing. It was described as more tactical and actually harder to play than the Arthurian (if I remember the video correctly) as it relies upon survivability through ability management rather than a passive approach. I only remember them properly describing its drawbacks in relation to the other options, not its advantages!
      Stroop likes this.
    3. Redh
      Redh

election.jpg

That wasn't biased at all, @Karesk! Totally objective - cold, hard facts! Now tell me, which faction are you leaning towards at the moment? ;)
    4. Iselore
      Iselore

Someone take the conch off Karesk...
    5. Karesk
      Karesk

Make Cyrus great again!
      Stroop and Redh like this.
    6. Stroop
      Stroop

I will, but first I'll blow it a little too if I may :) - All of this is my own personal opinion of course.

With such a lack of concrete information, the look and feel of the realms plays a more influential role than it perhaps should. I find the TDD in this regard way more interesting and dynamic than the other two realms which quite frankly seem insipid, cliche and flat in comparison. But this alone is not really a basis for an informed realm choice.

Even though TDD is my overall aesthetic preference, my vote probably will go with the classes I like the look of (as well as being informed by everyone else's input):

1. Devout Archetype (Blessed Crow is my least favourite of these). Arthurian or Viking

2. Wave Weaver - the synergy with the Viking Heavy Fighter (vast pools of lightning water) seems awesome.
      Viking

3. Redcap or perhaps another stealther.
      TDD

4. Healer, although I would like more concrete info on how they perform/work
      Viking or Arthurian